Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday The 13th

I was curious about why Friday the 13th is supposed to be bad luck. Some say it dates back to 1307 when the King of France rounded up all the Knights of Templar and threw them in the pokey on a Friday that happened to be on the 13th. The Knights of "T" date back to the crusades and were a fierce fighting force. They were mentioned in the book and movie, "The Da Vinci Code". That's kind of a cool story but most say that 13 is just an unlucky number and Friday is an unlucky day. For me, it's never been a big deal and I'm not very superstitious unless I'm grooving with Stevie Wonder. So, as you can see, I really have nothing much to say about Friday the 13th. I just thought it was time to write a blog and it's a beautiful day in Grand Lake and there were three BIG moose in my backyard this morning and that's good luck, unless you get too close.
Anyway, I got into a basketball pool today and I'll let ya all know if it was a lucky day or not!

2 comments:

MJ said...

If Friday the 13th is unlucky, then 2009 is an unusually unlucky year. This week's Friday the 13th is one of three to endure this year.


The first came last month. The next is in November. Such a rare triple-threat occurs only once every 11 years.


The origin of the link between bad luck and Friday the 13th is murky. The whole thing might date to Biblical times (the 13th guest at the Last Supper betrayed Jesus). By the Middle Ages, both Friday and 13 were considered bearers of bad fortune. In modern times, the superstition permeates society.

Anonymous said...

And does anyone know why biker gangs, primarily Hells Angels, made wearing a patch with the number 13 in a circle a popular item on their "colors?" Go ahead, check it out. See? It's everywhere. Somewhere on just about everyone's jacket there is a "13" patch.
Well, the letter M is the 13th letter of the alphabet, and M stood to represent the evil weed, marijuana. Canabis, maryjane, boom, chronic, dope, ganja, gangster, grass, hash, herb, kif, pot, reefer, skunk, weed. You get the idea. Anyway, I had always wonder about the "13" in photos of bikers, so I did some research some years back, and there you go. Now, I must get back to sewing that new "13" patch on my new Zoo jacket!
-Sean