Friday, May 16, 2008

Dolphin Research Center

Back in 1982 I was reading in my Jimmy Buffett newsletter (The Coconut Telegraph) about a way to help dolphins. You could adopt a dolphin at the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key, Florida. So I sent away for in the info and soon I adopted a Dolphin. Her name is Teresa and I've been donating money ever since to help keep her supplied in fish. I've even been down to see the DRC a couple times and got to see Teresa and the rest of the dolphins and sea lions. It's a great place to visit if you're down in the Keys and they do wonderful work there. I get a newsletter and an e-mail update every few months and it's always fun too see what's going on in 'Flipper Land'.
It turns out that Teresa is an ex navy dolphin and the oldest member of the pod. She's a grandmother and helps train the young ones. I still have my little certificate to show I adopted her and I'm glad I followed Jimmy's advice all those years ago. If any one's interested, here's their web-site.... www.dolphins.org
So check 'em out just for the halibut!

No comments: