Thursday, May 22, 2008

Songwriters Workshop

I am a self taught songwriter. I'm not sure that's such a good thing but except for a few colaborations with Larry, Ray and Jon Cook, that's pretty much the way it's been. I've thought about going to a workshop to learn some of the 'tricks of the trade' but have never had the time or opportunity. Tuesday I'm off to Kerrville, Texas for a three day songwriters school.
John Smith (pictured) is going to be one of the teachers there. John's a good friend and one hell of a songwriter. I'm excited and also a little nervous about my first ever visit into the world of songwriting. They said to bring along a few songs to be critiqued and it's hard to decide which ones to choose. I guess I'll take a new one, an older one and a song that I'm very happy with as is, just to get some input and opinions from the experienced staff.
So wish me luck and hopefully I'll come back with lots of new ideas to perk up some of the old songs and encourage me with the new ones that I'm working on. Look out Texas, here comes the man from snowy lake!

1 comment:

MJ said...

Good for you for taking the time to do this. I wish you all the luck in the world!!! It is NEVER too late to learn something new to help out the brain. This is the key to preventing alsheimers. Hopefully you have not fried too many of your brain cells to benefit from this!!!! hahahhahaha...just kidding of course. You know I love ya!!!!!
Hey, take Burt's Bench and Rainbow Mountain!!! Have fun!!!!!