Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Too Loose la Beck


What can I say about Bob Beck? Bob was one of the owners of Squeaky Bob Wheelers when I worked there in the 70's and 80's. He was truly a piece of work! He was also a house painter and some people used to say that inhaling all those paint fumes over the years made him a bit goofy.
He still did some painting in Grand Lake and along with Dave Knighton, they had a painting company named Brite Painting and Decorating. Terry Bramwell and I worked for them on and off in the 1970's and it was something to behold. Bob and Dave would argue back and forth and it was about the funniest thing I've ever witnessed. They'd go on a lunch break together and you'd swear you were watching an Abbot and Costello routine.
Bob's days at Squeaky Bob's were funny too. I was tending bar one day while Bob was managing and I ran out of pennies, so I asked Bob to get me a roll or two from the office. He just turned to me and said, "oh, just give 'em nickles". Bill Reardon (one of the other owners) would often send Beck off to get something from Zick's grocery, just to get rid of him for the rest of the day. He knew Bob would end up at The Pub, Lariat or The Little Bear and never make it back!
The last time I saw Beck was about twelve years ago at Daven Haven. He was doing well and living in Florida. I've got more stories about Bob, who some people thought was Squeaky Bob.
He wasn't the real Squeaky Bob, but he was certainly one of the real 'characters' of Grand Lake.
I don't have room here to go on about Bob, but I hope he's doing well. He sure decorated this little town with laughter.

No comments: