Friday, March 28, 2008

Sunrise ..... Sunset




On Caye Caulker, one can easily watch the sunrise and the sunset.
The island is about 7 miles long and less than half a mile across. After all my years of working late nights, I seldom see the sunrise. Of course in my youth I might have stayed up late enough to see one now and then. Something about being on vacation in a tropical place, however, gets me up earlier so I can enjoy as much of the day as possible. Everyone seems to love to watch the sunset on the water especially. In Key West, they gather every night at Mallory Square and make a big party of it with magicians, music, food, dancing and everybody applauds as the sun dips under the ocean. On Caye Caulker the celebration is nothing like that, but people still gather to watch and sometimes give a toast to the day. Placencia, being on a peninsula is much the same way. It's about a ten minute walk from the east side to the west. I never saw the 'Green Flash' (some kind of atmospheric phenomenon that sets out a quick green flash just as the sun's last light disappears). I think I saw it once in Grenada, but that was in my drinking days so who knows? Enjoy your day and remember... Never get up on the same day you went to bed.

No comments: